Run for cover and look out for flying marshmallows!
Supplies: Shoe Box, Spoons, Rubber Bands, Tape, and Marshmallows.
What happens: Design a catapult which can shoot marshmallows far and accurate.
Explanation: Scientists often have to solve problems...bring these supplies to the kitchen
table and start building. Wear safety goggles while at war.
Types of Catapults
The different types of Catapults used in the Middle Ages included:
- The Ballista - The Ballista was similar to a Giant Crossbow and worked by using
- The Trebuchet - The massive Trebuchet consisted of a lever and a sling and was
capable of hurling stones weighing 200 pounds with a range of up to about 300 yards
- The Mangonel - Missiles were launched from a bowl-shaped bucket at the end of
the one giant arm of the Mangonel
- The Springald - A type of Ballista
- The Onager - A type of Mangonel
"Making Science Splat~tacular!"
1) Always have an adult
2) Always wear the correct
3) Never eat or drink
anything while performing
are safe to do when the
instructions are followed
correctly. Remember to
use common sense and
wear safety goggles.
expressly disclaim all
liability for any occurrence
including, but not limited
to, damage, injury, or
death, which might arise
as consequences of the
use of any experiments
online. All liability is
assumed by the child's
guardian or experiment
supervisor. Do these
experiments at your own